Monday, July 2, 2007

Baltimore, Philly, and Boston

Blogging is too much work when you only have internet for an hour a day. On Saturday we went to Camden Yards in Baltimore, Sunday we spent some time in Philly and Citizens Bank Park, and Monday we were in Boston for Fenway Park.

I forgot to give my grade for Pittsburgh: 9.4
Only real thing from keeping it from being THE best, is small concourses.

Summing up Camden, there were a couple of things I was disappointed in. First off, there were no open concourses, and basically open concourses are a must. They allow fans to see the game when they're walking around, and it allows for a lot of standing room only. And Secondly, the overhang seemed too low. It almost seemed like a roof was over our head for the baseball game. The difference felt once we moved down to the open air seats was infinite. Food was great, the street out in right was pretty cool, and the warehouse was awe-inspiring. Overall grade: 8.5


Philadelphia was pretty cool. We went downtown to all the freedom related stuff and then we went to the 1:30 game between the rival Mets and Phillies. This ballpark was enormous. They went all out building this thing, and it works in every way. The food is great, the concourses are great, the sightlines are great. The only thing that it lacks is a view outside of the ballpark being that it is 4 miles from downtown Philly which is also a negative. We had our Philly CheeseSteaks from Ricks, and I was satisfied. This happens to be the ballpark where I stupidly set down my mother's camera while putting mustard on my hot dog, and forgot to pick it up. I really can't blame Philadelphia for it getting taken, it would have been almost anywhere, but the staff was kind towards helping me try and find it. However the ushers were rude and pushy. Overall grade: 9.5


Boston was a real downer for me. We started out the day getting into the hotel at 4 am, since there happened to be a car fire on the bridge in New York that cost us 2 hours. Once we got going in the day, we went down and took the Freedom Trail Tour, which was informative, but not quite up my alley. It was enjoyable though and I didn't mind going on it. Getting to the park was pretty easy, near downtown, and it certainly stood out once we approached it. As we got to our seats I was quite excited. They were right down the foul line in right, and seemed to have great sight-lines. Then it got time for the game to start and people started coming into the stadium. And the walked in front of us, and walked, and walked, and walked. I saw about 3 pitches in the first inning, and another 5 in the second inning. They were, without a doubt, the worst seats I have ever sat in at an event. And probably one of the most expensive. In fact it was so bad, that Dad and I decided to get up and leave the seats after the 3rd inning. We ended up about 700 feet away from home and only able to see half the field in the upper deck, but they were still by far, better seats. The fans were the exact opposite of what I've been told Boston fans were. The general fanbase that we saw were more interested in being at the IT place, and didn't really care about watching the game. Not until we moved did we find some fans that cared about watching the baseball game going on, and actually were knowledgeable about the game. Also, I did not feel any aura surrounding the ballpark. It just seemed like an old, oddly shaped ballpark. I'm sure had we been sitting behind homeplate, our experience would have been better, but I was very disappointed. The food however was still good. Overall grade: 7.0

No comments: